All this last week I have been busy putting together my first doll and making an outfit for her. I wanted to do something Elfin out of Lord of the Rings. I finally finished yesterday. All I need now is a proper stand to display her.
I did this customisation on the cheap considering it was my first one. I also had no idea about how to put a body together so I bought one already done.
This is what she started out like, in pieces. I purchased and Obistu 27cm bodyfor around $20. The head was about $5. There were a lot of different types to choose from, but this one looked more Elfin to me than the others. It also meant that I didn't have to work with eye chips either.
I was going to paint on the eyes but it is difficult to find the soft body acrylic paint needed without paying a huge cost. Considering it may have been something I only used once I didn't want to waste my money. I found a variety of eye decals to choose from. One sheet (from memory) was around $7. Finally the wig cost about $12. Grand total in all that I paid for was $44. Everything else I already had.
This is not the best photo. It was done in low light, hence the horrid looking yellow grain. It took me a while to paint her lips. In the end I used a plastic medium with micr powder. I also mixed in some white paint to prevent the colour looking too translucent. Once the paint was dry and the fourth try of the eye decal was on, I sprayed it with a mat medium that is designed to keep the decals and paint on the face.
Next came the wig. It was the right size but a little loose so I had to glue it in place. After that was the costume.
I actually found a website that gives away free patterns of dresses from the Lord of the Rings movies for barbie dolls. I just had to modify it slightly to make it fit. This is based on the dress that Galadriel wore at the well. Like I said, I have modified it so it isn't the exact dress. What annoys me is that I have noticed her left eye lid seems to have been scratched off a bit.