Thursday 10 February 2011

Commuting

Have you ever noticed how interesting people can be? Have you ever just stood back and watched everyone around you? I find traveling to work is rather interesting. I take the train. The trains here have only one row of seats on each side of the train that face each other. This leaves more room for people who have to stand. It also means that those people who don't read or play computer games, tend to invest in dark glasses so that no-one knows where you are looking.

The fuller the train gets, a dilemma sets in. Should I sit between those people over there who are almost sharing 3 seats between them, or should I just stand for the next half hour and nearly fall on people when the driver gets over excited with the brakes and accelerator.

I am lucky in that I tend to get a seat. Well some may think that lucky. There are many days where someone has whacked me in the face with their bag and stood so close they may as well be on my lap.

Today was a very interesting journey into work. I was late (another story) and then the train left late which meant that I just missed my connecting train. The first part of my journey wasn't that bad until someone decided to sing at the top of their lungs and totally off key. Note to self, remember to take headphones.

While waiting for my second train I stood in a large area of the platform that was relatively empty. Many times I have found it fascinating for the need of people come and stand so far into your personal space that you can tell what toothpaste they used that morning. This when there is huge amounts of standing space around and I happened to be leaning up against the wall with people surrounding me. You know, if I stand closer to the track and make like I am watching for the train, there is bound to be someone who comes and stands close and block my field of vision when, if they took a step back, we could both see. Guaranteed though, they just look at their feet.

My stop is the first stop after I get on the second train. I patiently wait for everyone to get on and yet there are those who insist on being the first on, to ensure they get the prime spot at the door to get out. They don't care that they are blocking it for those who don't want to get off for some time and would like to move down the carriage.

Again, this morning, this is what I did. By the time I got on there was room for people to go to my right but not to my left. There were a few late comers and they just barged in and filled the space between me and the door (yes I was standing back from the door). One woman got on, looked to my left only, and gave up even trying (didn't bother going right). She spun around in front of my and her solid bag whacked me so hard in the boob that it almost winded me. She did apologise but I could tell she didn't really care. To top it off, even though she could easily have moved to the right, she stayed where she was, right in front of the door. I thought she must be getting off at my stop, but no. She just stood there and made it difficult for everyone else. Sometimes I really would like to know what the logic is that is going on in the heads of people like this.

Once off the train I have to dodge cyclists. There is a cycle path with signs up to show that pedestrians are crossing. Most cyclists don't bother and get annoyed with the pedestrians and almost run them over. In fact I guy who works on my floor nearly did that to me. He wasn't even looking and I got no apology. I really wonder about how they obey such rules on a road when in a car.

What I do find interesting, is that when I am late, and don't catch my normal train, I recognise faces that are normally on my usual train. It happens so often. One of these days I'm going to lean over to one particular lady (who always seems to be on the train with me late or otherwise) and say "so, late again I see!"

In all honesty though I thank God that the frustration I get while traveling to work don't effect my attitude. I like to start work in a positive note. Something in the day has to be positive. :)

Speaking of work, I suppose I better get started. LOL

No comments: