Sunday 2 November 2008

String Teaser

Why are weekends so short all the time? There are just not enough days to have a decent weekend. I think there should be law that says we work for 4 days and have 3 off. The world would be less stressful then,

I went to my Journal Junkies afternoon today. It is fun getting together with everyone. Carmen taught me how to use soot in my art work without burning the building down (photos another day). Vivian dropped in to say hi. Joanie is back from Canada (she mean - she didn't take me with her). We would have all been there if Suzanne hadn't gotten herself sick yesterday.

Anyway I spent the first half of the afternoon completing my string challenge for Aussie Dares. I have put some teasers below before I show the finished product

Instructions:
  1. Think of how you can manipulate different types of string and then come up with a design to incorporate them.
  2. Cut out the shape of your design from some thin card. In pencil draw internal external lines of your design onto some thing cardboard and then cut it out.
  3. Place wax paper on top of some firm foam and place your design cut out on top
  4. String Circle - I used cotton string for this as it is nice and fine however any string will do depending on how big you want the circles. Put a drop of glue onto some wax paper; pin one end of the string in the centre of the glue. To stop the string from spinning around when you form your circle place another pin in the paper close to the first pin. This allows you to wrap the string in a circular motion until you have achieved the size you want. I used another pin or reverse end of a pencil to push the string into the glue. When the glue is dry, remove the pins and pull the circles away from the wax paper ready for use in your design.
  5. In the below picture I have two other techniques aside from the circles. First I took some packing string (twine), frayed it and then cut it into fine slivers which I then sprinkle onto an area of glue. The second technique (shown below the circles) is making use of three types of string: twine (brown), fine cotton (green), and a loosely woven household type of cotton string (white). I cut the green into two lengths and knotted them at one end before I secured it to the foam with a pin anchor. Both the brown and white had various lengths all cut the same. One at a time fold each length in half and tie the green around it a short way from the loop. Repeat for the next colour placing each length close to each other on the green. Once you have enough, fray each end of the string so that it opens up nice an full. A pin will be sufficient to do this.
  6. To block out a whole section I would put some glue on the cardboard design, pin the end of the string and move it in an up and down motion to create lines. At the top and bottom of each row I would use a ping to hold it in place.
  7. I also plaited the string and also just glued down plain cut lengths.
  8. WARNING: This is very time consuming and not good if you have bad wrists.

Any ideas as to what it is? You only have today to guess because I am sure the finished product will be on Aussie Dares tomorrow. Oh if you were at the Journal Junkies you are not allowed to tell.

5 comments:

Ruth's Place said...

Looks very cool! Can't wait to see what it is.

Sorry to miss your IM, but I was on the phone with Mum.

BealcA's Pad said...

It is morning here in Loveland, and the time change was during the night so sort of slept in a wee bit this morn'.

Whatever that is above I am anxious to see the final product. I guess that I have to go back and look, won't I.

My love you U & Mum.

Chocolate Cat said...

I'm looking forward to you telling us what it is and showing the finished piece!!
About weekends, I think it would be better if they were 5 days and we worked 2!!!

becspicer said...

This is just fabulous. What a beautiful creation you have made Kerin.

Caramella said...

I have seen the final product and I take my hat of to you. It is just amazing and out of this world. I can't fathom the patience it would take to complete, and this is definitely one project I will never attempt.