Sunday 25 October 2009

Day 8

The sunset last night was lovely and we got some good views from the Tuk Tuk. Yes that means we didn't make it to the balloon so crazy me decided to go for sunrise instead. My Tuk Tuk driver picked me up at 4:50 am. With all the tourists I had seen yesterday I kept praying that there wasn't a bus load waiting to get on the balloon. Prayers work ... I was the only one. The balloon is not a standard hot air balloon and it is tethered to the ground. The sunrise wasn't that special and Angkor Watt was sort of hidden by the morning shadows. The view however was stunning. I got to see the landscape from above and managed to get some good shots.

The ride was over all too soon and I asked to be taken to Angkor Watt itself. The place is huge so I didn't go all the way in. Only some of the way. The air was kinda smokey which added to the mystery of the place (especially with the sun behind it). I did get some good shots of the wall and some buildings in the grounds though.

Once I got back to the hotel I ate breakfast with Gwen and family and then we left for the long drive back to Phnom Penh (6 hours). This afternoon Gwen and I are going to the markets for some final shopping (well at the markets anyway). Gotta sign off now as she needs the computer.

No comments: