Wednesday 29 September 2010

Champagne Mist

I love shiny sparkly things but sometimes on a card, coloured glitter can be a little too overbearing. That is why I fell in love with the new Stampin Up Shimmer paint. There are 3 colours but the Champagne Mist can blend with any colour. It is almost clear.

At the recent SU Regional that I went to we were shown how to blend a little bit of the paint with a little bit of the ink refills. Combine the two with dauber and then use the dauber lightly on a stamp, then stamp onto your paper. The result is a beautiful shimmery look in the colour that you want.

So here is what I did the first time I used it. I was like a kid in a candy shop with permission to have what I want. First I will give you the "ingredients" and then I will tell you what I did.

CARD STOCK: Crumbcake; Cherry Cobbler; Very Vanilla
INK PADS: Crumbcake; Soft Suede; Black Stazon
INK REFILLS: Cherry Cobbler; Marina Mist; Always Artichoke
PENS: Creamy Caramel (retired - don't have my new pen colours yet otherwise I would have used Crumbcake)
STAMPS: En Francais; Teeny Tiny Sentiments; Snow Swirled
OTHER: Champagne Mist Shimmer paint; White Taffetta ribbon 0.32cm (1/8")
TOOLS: Colour Spritzer, Distressing tool, Sandpaper, 3D dots

1. Take a piece of Crumbcake card that will fit on a slight angle on your main card. Distress the edges and then screw the paper up to look nice and worn.
2. You should now be able to pull apart the two layers of the card in one of the corners. Don't worry if you pull too far as you can always glue it back down again.
3. With the colour pen spritz over the surface of the card
4. Using the crumbcake ink pad stamp the En Francais background stamp and then place your distress card on it and smooth it out. It doesn't matter if some of the image isn't there or it doubles up as that is all part of the effect.
5. Mix up a little Marina Mist refill ink with the shimmer paint and dab onto a small snowflake from the Snow Swirled stamp set. Stamp this on the distressed crumbcake card. Clean the dauber after use.
6. While you have the shimmer paint out also mix up a little green and a little red (seperately). I then dabbed the green onto various areas of the christmas tree trying to avoid the small stars which I then dabbed red. Stamp this onto some Very vanilla card stock and cut out.
7. The tree doesn't take much ink so you will have some left over. I used this to dab around the edges of the distressed crumb cake card and also a little in the torn area at the bottom.
8. On this card I also used that excess shimmer ink to brighten up the background on the Cherry Cobbler card stock however I think it is too much. If you use the Champagne Mist shimmer paint by itself though it gives a lovely soft effect.
9. Take a black and white photo (this is my dog last xmas but in a class I am using a vintage photo). Sandpaper the edges and then screw it up.
10. With a sponge, lightly go around the outside of the photo with soft suede ink to give it that aged yellow look.
11. Attach the photo flush to the crumbcake card and then add the tree using 3D dots to raise it up.
12. Take a small piece of white taffetta ribbon and colour it with the brush end of the pen.
13. Take out the Merry Christmas from the Teeny Tiny Sentiments stamp set and ink it up with black stazon. Stamp this into the middle of the ribbon. If you are uncertain that will work then place the ribbon on the stamp and push with your fingers to get the words. That way you can guarantee that the dots of the stamp won't dominate and you won't miss out on the words.
14. Attach this to the torn corner of the crumbcake.
15. Attach the crumbcake to the the Cherry Cobbler card.
16. Using a small pen or your piercing tool, curl the top layer of the torn corner. If you want to you can curl both layers. This can be very effective.
Now here is a tip that I accidentally came across. To get rid of the excess paint on the dabber I squished it all over a piece of paper before washing it. The effect was quite interesting especially because I did the green and red with the same dabber and not cleaning it. Below are two images that I punched out using that paper.


Here is another one that I did with all the colours.
Now another trick I came across accidentally can be shown here. Obviously the solid area is where I started to get rid of the excess but then I sprayed Stampin Mist stamp cleaner onto the dauber and the effect ended up with the solid colour around the outside and paler colour in the middle. The more times I misted it the more prominent this became. I think it has a great almost honeycomb effect.
If you want to learn more about the shimmer paint just leave a comment and I will get back to you. Better still, host a party and we can have some fun together.
OMG I am in love with Champagne Mist.

No comments: