Monday 27 September 2010

Oriental Flavour

Being out amongst the flowers yesterday gave me some inspiration for a card using a technique I have been wanting to try for a while now. First though I want to show you a little fun I have had with the two step large Owl punch. I could play with this punch all day long.

Okay back to the inspiration. How many of you have seen or even owned an Oriental bamboo calender or picture? Well I came across a technique that mimicked the looked. Not sure what the name of the technique is or even if it has a name but it is very simple to do.

The first step is to Stamp your image to some plain paper. Once the image is complete take the card and run it through the crimper then use a sponge to lightly go over the top and the edges. I used soft Suede to give it that bamboo sort of feel.

The texture on the background card is done using the colour spritzer tool. It is a great tool. You just put a coloured pen in it so that the brush nib of the pen is touching the end of the nozzle. By squeezing the air bag you are forcing air through the pen tip and onto the card stock. This gives the splatter effect.

Another technique here is the way to colour white ribbon. I use ribbon a lot but Stampin Up doesn't have a ribbon for every colour. The ribbon below was originally white taffeta but I used the pen to colour it the colour I wanted. It comes up really well. You can also dip the ribbon in the re inker or drag it across your ink pad.

Finally the only image stamped on the card using an ink pad is the butterfly. I hand coloured the butterfly with the pens and blended them with the blender pen. The flowers and leaves have been done by colouring in the stamp with the pen and then stamping.

What you will need:
STAMPS: Thoughts & Prayers; All A Flutter
CARD: Very Vanilla; Always Artichoke
INK: Soft Suede
PENS: Rose Red; Regal Rose; So Saffron; Always Artichoke; Garden Green
RIBBON: White Taffeta ribbon 1/8" (0.32cm).
TOOLS: Crimper, Spritzer

1 comment:

Ruth's Place said...

You are amazing. You know how much I love owls and those are super super cute!!

Love love love the card. I gasped out loud when I saw it. I've seen the paper