Monday 13 August 2012

What I'm Making Monday

I am taking a different approach to how I blog.  I want to blog more often but never seem to know what to blog about, and when I do have something to say I am not ready to post it because I want to put up photos.

Through blog hopping I have noticed that people have set aside days for specific things so I am going to try and do that.  I would love to know if there are any other suggestions that I can make this blog that little bit more interesting.

Today is all about what I am making.  No photos this time but I promise that I will have photos each Monday of the progression of what I am making.  I have a number of things on the go, as usual. 

A while back I won a jelly roll from the Fabric Patch.  I love this store.  Linda is very helpful when I have a question.  When I won the jelly roll I chose the fabric Birds and Berries by Lauren & Jess Jung (pictured below).  The colours in this are gorgeous. 
I am relatively new to quilting and had no idea what to make with my jelly roll strips.  A google search led me to the Missouri Quilt Company.  They have a lot of really good tutorials.  The woman who does the video speaks clearly and explains things really well.  One of the tutorials is called the Jelly Roll Race Quilt.  It was perfect for what I wanted to do.  I have loaded the video below so that you can have a look.



I have stitched all the jelly roll strips together so far and now I just have to do the backing.  I am also thinking of doing some applique on it as well.  Maybe some little birds. 

Around the same time I won the Jelly Roll I also purchased some precut tiny squares of Basic Grey's Fruitcake fabric.  It is a christmas fabric that is more earthy than bright.  I am hand sewing hexagons with this fabric. I will tell you more about this later as there is a cool technique involved.

Finally, my friend is due to have her first child.  I was going to make a quilt for her but she said  she would prefer pram toys as she had already bought a quilt set.  This quilt set is jungle animals so I set out to make those same jungle animals as pram toys.  Suffice to say that after trying to make a small zebra yesterday I have decided not to do jungle animals.  Think I will make some octagon balls and put rattles in them.  I will post a photo of the zebra once he is stuffed.  He is cute but I just don't think it would work as a pram toy.

1 comment:

ruthsplace said...

Gorgeous fabric. Can't wait to see the handstitched hexagons!!

I've also seen Work in Progress Wednesday and Finished Friday if you are looking for blog topics.

I find I spend too long between posts, so no personal suggestions lol.