Sunday 15 February 2009

Good News

First of all I would like to thank Lady North in Canada for her kind words and believe it or not, keeping me up to date with Sam (actually a Samantha) the Koala from the fires. Her story below.

I know I said that this is going to be good news but I just have one thing to let you know and that is that at least 1 million, if not more, wild life have lost their lives. Some that survived may take weeks to crawl out of the devastated areas.

Ok now for some GOOD NEWS. Earlier this week I sent you a link to a video about Sam the Koala and how she was found by volunteer firefighter. You can actually purchase a photograph of that moment (similar to the one I have in a previous blog) to help raise funds for the CFA. Just click here and it will take you to where you can purchase it.

Below is a quote I took from the Herald Sun web site. Peter Tree is the CFA volunteer who found her.

Mr Tree said he was surprised by the reaction to the photograph, which was snapped by Mark Pardew - a fellow CFA volunteer - on a mobile phone.
Mr Tree said he was in the middle of backburning at Mirboo North when he saw the stricken koala."I could see she had sore feet and was in trouble, so I pulled over the fire truck. She just plonked herself down, as if to say 'I'm beat'," he said.
"I offered her a drink and she drank three bottles.
"The most amazing part was when she grabbed my hand. I will never forget that."
Mr Tree and his brigade then received an emergency call-out to save a house, but minutes later Sam was picked up by wildlife carers.
She is one of 22 koalas, 14 ringtail possums, several wallabies and eastern grey kangaroos that have been handed into Gippsland carers.


Below are images of Sam now. She is on her way to recovery and should be able to be released back into the wild in a by the end of the year.

Sam even found herself a boyfriend named Bob. According to the video below, she sat on him the first time they met.
Once this video is finished you can click on links to see others. I recommend the one where she meets her saviour as well as the interview he gives.


2 comments:

Elizabeth Golden said...

Wow this is simply amazing. I donated some money earlier, we ate in rather than out and donated our dinner to them. Your pictures really made an impact here. I still think I would like a picture. Just a small reminder of man and nature. I have seen fires in California and in the mountains here in North Carolina. However nothing like this. Bless these people who save these animals and open there homes and lives to caring for them. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I think it is important to really hear and see what is going on, on our planet.

Kathryn Costa said...

I have tears in my eyes. How sweet that even after such a devastating experience, love was found - now this is a true Valentine story. The love and dedication of everyone who is working to help is another tender Valentine story.

Thank you for sharing,
kathryn