Thursday 26 January 2012

Heating up

It is 10:30pm and still 30 degrees outside.  Tomorrow is Australia day and promising to be a sticky hot 41.  The days that follow, are about the same.  At least I have the day off and I will spend it as wet and cool as I possibly can.

Speaking of days off, I also managed to wrangle Friday.  It is my birthday so that helps.  Three months ago, mum thought that she would be doing something on my birthday, which essentially meant I was going to be left to my own devices and spending yet another birthday doing nothing. 

At the same time, I had been searching the web for some relaxation music cds.  I really love the tibettan bowl music.  It is so calming.  I came across a web page that said you could make your own dream harp.  There was a three day course starting on my birthday.  Within a week I had booked and paid for the course and was really looking forward to it.  You start with some wood, carve out a design and on the third day, you put the strings on.  I can't remember the word used to describe the notes used in the harp, but it doesn't have all of them.  It means that anyone can play it and the tune will sound good.  Therefore I don't need to have lessons in how to play it.  Also, it is called a dream harp but it is more like a lyre.  It is shaped to fit the contours of your body, so that when you play, you will feel the vibration of the music through you.

Last night I got a call from Neis (he is the instructor).  Some people had pulled out, probably due to the heat and the fact that we were going to be working in a non airconditioned shed.  That left two of us and he was hoping to reschedule us into the February class.  This was difficult for me for numerous reasons, the main one being that I already have something on, on that weekend.  After that he was going away and was not sure when the next class would be.  He was going to try and get more people to come to the class but it didn't sound promising.

Tonight I got another call, as expected, and the way he was talking, it sounded like it was going to be cancelled.  I was pleasantly surprised when he said it was going to go ahead with only two of us.  He knew that I was doing it as my birthday gift and I don't think he wanted to disappoint.  I do believe though he really wishes that it isn't going to be so hot.  On the upside, I may sweat off a few kilos. :)

 

No comments: