Saturday 18 December 2010

Oprah Fest Day 3 - O Day

Here is the post you have been waiting for. I am thinking point form might just be the easiest to get through the day.
  • watched the morning shows and the hype around the first taping. Our other colleague from work, Noelle, had been in line since 4:30am and messaged us to tell us we need to line up early.
  • Took Noelle's advice and even though our instructions from Harpo were to line up from 2:30pm we got there at 11am. There were already 100 people in front of us.
Corinne in queue at 11am. The morning show is still being taped in the background. You can see people sitting on the steps.

A photo I nicked from the internet cause I am in it. Can you see me? Let me help. Look where the first tree is in the centre of the photo; just to the right of where it comes out of someones head, you will see a white hat ... that is me. I stood there for 4 hours.


  • Bon Jovi sang at the end of the morning taping and our queue joined in with the audience to sing with him.
  • When Oprah left, she drove straight passed us and unwound her window to wave. Didn't have my camera ready for that. :(
  • Eventually the American Audience left and walked passed us. They love our Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi and you could hear them calling out the Ozzie part while our queue answered with the Oi. This moved in waves down the line.
  • At 3pm the shove was on to get in. I really mean shove. Seriously know what animals feel like when being herded. Its kinda hard to tell 6000 people behind you to stop pushing.
  • My gate was on the other side of the Opera House and we had to walk under the stairs to get there. We patiently waited for the gate to open when 3 guys came out from behind some side fencing. No one had cameras ready and if they did we were all in a little shock to actually take the photo considering Russel Crowe walked through the line. Yep, he was within 2m of me. An older lady ran up and gave him a hug and a kiss before running back in line. He smiled and walked off and she jumped up and down with excitement.
  • Managed to get really good seats on the steps once we got in. Still had to wait till 5pm for Oprah. Got to know everyone around us. Kinda makes you understand how people become such good friends in a short time on a reality show.

Practice for the finale when the flag had to be pulled by the audience in the forecourt. Got the real finale on video as well but haven't decided if I can really show that or not yet.

  • First guest was Bono
  • Second guest was Hugh Jackman who did his flying entry, forgot to break while looking for his parents, and came to a jolting stop cutting his bottom eyelid (he needed 2 stitches). He taught Oprah how to eat Vegemite. Oprah asked if we eat it like they do peanut butter, to which the 6000 strong audience shouted out in unison "NO!" Hugh put a tiny amount on a cracker before asking if she liked salty things. She said yes and took a bite. She loved it. Grabbed the knife and plastered more on. Hugh commented on how brave she was. She decided less was best.
  • Third guests were Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban. Nicole can't half talk. At one stage she told herself to shut up and let Keith speak. You could really see the love these two have for each other. It was lovely.
  • Fourth guest was Olivia Newton-John and she brought her Sandi Pants in from the final scene in the movie Grease. OMG they are tiny.
  • Finale scene was all the celebs plus Russel Crowe and the Qantas Youth Choir singing "I Still Call Australia Home."
  • Oprah was great between takes. She is so down to earth and has the best Aussie sense of humour I have heard in an American. To be honest I wasn't a fan before this. I liked her but wasn't mad on her. After seeing her interact with everyone between takes and working with her staff I can see why she is much loved.
  • Oh yes I was there for the giveaway of the Argyle pink Diamond necklace ... no I do not have it yet. Won't be until next year.

In this picture: Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Hugh Jackman, Olivia Newton-John, Russel Crowe.

To prove I was there. Just above the guy in the blue shirt you can see Orpah walking off stage. :)

If anyone asks, you never saw these photos, they do not exist, it is just your imagination. Photos were forbidden. :)

At 3:30am the next morning we woke up and headed to the airport. Had to put this in of Corinne. She switched off so I switched onto facebook, only to see a comment under my status 5 minutes later of "get off FB, Sydney airport is boring." I told her the coffee shop was open then and she raced off!

2 comments:

Yvonne Russell said...

Sounds like a ton of fun.

Chocolate Cat said...

Thank you for sharing! If I couldn't be there this is the next best thing!!!!